To Be a Green Step Mentor
1. Look over our website.
2. Email the program coordinator* a recent picture of yourself and any needed updates for your mentor profile.
3. Attend a Green Steps Train & Update session in-person or on-line here: https://eeasc.org/How-to-Be-a-GS-School
4. Meet with your school team in the fall to help plan one or more meaningful, realistic, and eco-friendly projects.
5. Submit the 2023 form by Jan 31st to the program coordinator* indicating which projects and teachers you are mentoring (Do not evaluate the projects until spring.)
6. Serve as a resource and cheerleader throughout the year.
7. Request school videos or pictures with detailed captions that show students learning, doing, and teaching:
Learn pictures/videos: must show students learning from an identified adult
Do pictures/videos: must show students using the knowledge they learned
Teach pictures/videos: must show students teaching others what they learned through the project
8. Meet with the school team again, no later than April 31, to critique the project(s) you are mentoring.
9. Judge each project using these criteria:
Significant: students have been learning, doing and teaching others about an environmental topic
Model Quality: the project(s) is worthy to show other schools
Well Established: the project(s) has been model quality for at least 12 months
Sustainable: at least 2 paid staff/faculty members are helping manage each project
Documented: video links or pictures with detailed captions showing students learning, doing, and teaching others have been attached to the project sheet and sent to the program coordinator.* (3 picture limit for each project.)
11. Accept your award at a state workshop/conference or a regional fall kickoff (check calendar for dates and details.)
*Program coordinator Jane Hiller: firstname.lastname@example.org