Ask your mentor to do a presentation, then click on these links to learn more about soil at schools.
- Have students build/manage both a vermicompost and a garden compost bin
- Have students build and manage a project that prevents erosion
- Have students plant/manage crops that improve soil health
Ideas for sharing student soil knowledge
- Broadcast on school news shows
- Create and display hallway posters
- Film and share informational videos
- Operate education tables at school or community events
Sample Project: Build Composting Bins
- Help students use a Styrofoam cooler with ventilation holes, filled with shredded, damp newspaper to build a home for red wriggler worms in your classroom.
- Help students build a garden compost bin from wooden pallets and zip ties. To get started, layer fruit cores and peels, paper towels and fall leaves.